Our world leading comedy industry is on the brink of collapse and runs the risk of being forgotten by emergency government arts funding
Based on our industry survey conducted in June 2020:
- A third of comedy venues believe they’ll be forced to close within the next six months, with 77.8% facing closure within the next year.
- Over 45% of the industry have already given serious thought to leaving comedy because of the pandemic, with just under 60% of all respondents predicting they’ll need to leave before February 2021 unless we’re able to get back to live performances.
- 73.5% of respondents have found their mental health negatively impacted by job and industry uncertainty during the pandemic.
- Over three quarters of performers have earnt less than 5% of their pre-pandemic estimated income from online performances.
- Only 17.1% of promoters expect that post-pandemic they’ll be running 100% of the regular events they promoted before lockdown.